I know a lot of folks like to post their tips for enjoying the festival as they feel that they might be experts in this field, but I’m just going to give you the tips straight from the folks putting on the festival. Well, I do have one tip: Keep the group of people you are hanging out with to a minimum if you want to maximize your experience. Too many people means too many opinions of what you should be seeing. You don’t want to miss out on any of your favorites because of some group democracy crap.
And here we go, straight from ACL itself:
Important Facts and Features of ACL 2012
The 11th edition of the Austin City Limits Music Festival descends on Zilker Park this weekend, October 12th to 14th. The three-day, eight stage music extravaganza will feature over 130 bands including headliners Red Hot Chili Peppers, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, The Black Keys, Jack White, Florence + The Machine, and The Avett Brothers. With so much to see, hear and taste, here are the important logistics and tidbits to keep festival-goers in the know!
· ACL IS SMOKE FREE: Just a reminder: Zilker Park, along with all of Austin’s parks, is a non-smoking venue. In observance of the smoking ordinance, all patrons will be directed to smoke outside the festival gates in the street. All ticket types, including Three-Day Passes and Single Day Passes, will be allowed to exit and re-enter the festival grounds during the event. If patrons choose to smoke outside of the Festival, organizers ask that they be mindful of the smoking ban and responsibly discard cigarettes.
· TICKETS: There are still a limited number of VIP Passes at $1,050 each & Platinum Passes at $3,600 each for ACL 2012. These can be purchased online at www.aclfestival.com<http://
· BOX OFFICE: The box office will be open beginning Wednesday, October 10th. The hours are Wednesday & Thursday 3pm-8pm and Friday through Sunday 10am – 10pm.
· PERSONALIZE YOUR WRISTBAND: For the first time, fans can register their wristbands online. This means lost or damaged wristbands can be easily voided and replaced immediately at the Festival. Everyone who registers by 11:59pm Thursday, October 11th will be entered to win VIP upgrades for this year. Fans who Connect with Facebook can visit any of our #ACLFest Check-in Boxes to share their location with their Facebook friends, and enter to win a trip to next year’s fest! Get started at: http://www.aclfestival.com/
· WEBCAST: Fans worldwide who can’t make it to Zilker Park can still enjoy the ACL experience on YouTube. The live Webcast, powered by DELL, will feature Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Black Keys, Jack White, The Roots, Bassnectar, Thievery Corporation, The Shins and many more. Catch the action at www.youtube.com/aclfestival<ht
· FREE IPHONE & ANDROID APP: In addition to maintaining your schedule and listening to ACL Radio, fans can scroll through the Festival Instagram feed and create custom SMS text groups to message their friends for meet ups. Also, fans using the ACL app won’t have to wait in line to buy merch. The whole festival store will be available from their smart phone.
· BE A FESTIVAL PHOTOGRAPHER WITH INSTAGRAM: For the first year ever, photos directly from fans will be displayed on the video screens at multiple stages throughout Zilker. To get in on the action, just tag your Instagram photos with #aclfest and your view of ACL 2012 will be displayed 75,000 ACL fans…and the world!
· GETTING TO ACL: There is no parking at ACL Festival. Fans are encouraged to use eco-friendly transportation, including the free shuttle at Republic Square Park, cab sharing, walking and biking. Bike parking is available at each entrance, as well as bike repair from Mellow Johnny’s at the Lady Bird Lake entrance. Do not park vehicles on grassy areas. Parking in the surrounding neighborhoods is prohibited.
· ACL’S ART THAT FEEDS FOOD DRIVE: Conscious Alliance will be stationed across the street from the Barton Springs entrance collecting cans of food for the Capital Area Food Bank. Ten cans will get fans a limited edition poster (while supplies last.) To sweeten the deal, H-E-B has agreed to match donations!
· SATTELITE POP-UP STORE: For the first time ever, the ACL Festival is opening a pop-up store off the Festival grounds. The Satellite Shop is open Oct. 6th -15th and features the complete line of official commemorative goods as well as capsule collections from Skullcandy, Oakley, Ray-Ban, Baggu and more! It’s conveniently located in the 2ND Street District, just a block from the Republic Square shuttle station. The Satellite Shop hours will be extended from 10 am-11 pm during the Festival weekend and will be open the Monday after so fans have plenty of opportunity to score their gear. But anyone is welcome to shop, whether they have tickets to the Festival or not. Location and Hours: 210 Guadalupe; Oct. 6-15, 2012; Mon.-Sat. 10 am- 9 pm, Sun. 12-6 pm; 10 am-11 pm Festival weekend.
· ART AT ACL: The Art Market is a terrific place to discover Austin’s artists and artisans. From recycling and “upcycling”, using the best environmental and fair-trade practices, these artisans demonstrate just how beautiful making the right business choices can be. The market also includes a general store for last minute festival needs. Attendees don’t have to worry about lugging their purchases through the fest. The USPS shipping station is available for onsite shipping.
· BAG AND CHAIR CHECK: Visit the American Airlines Bag and Chair Check and they will stow your bag and chair for free.
· HYDRATION: Patrons are allowed to bring two factory sealed water bottles (up to 1 liter each) into ACLFestival each day. Patrons can also bring an empty refillable container or CamelBak and fill up at the free, triple-filtered CamelBak Filling Stations. Boxed water will be available at any Festival bar for $2. With its eco-friendly paper packaging, you can refill it at a water station, or just flatten it and recycle.
· FOOD: Curated by Hudson’s on the Bend’s Jeff Blank, Austin Eats continues to feature fantastic local restaurants putting their spin on festival fare. Fan favorites such as the infamous Mighty Cone, Tim Love’s Love Shack, Austin’s Pizza, and Torchy’s will serve up the best in festival eats alongside newcomers Second Bar + Kitchen by Chef David Bull, Chi’lantro BBQ, Judge’s Hill Restaurant, Woodshed Smokehouse, and GoodPop Frozen Pops. Also returning this year are Guero’s Taco Bar and Luke’s Inside Out.
· ZILKER DRAFTHOUSE: New this year, the Zilker Drafthouse is the only destination in the park for specialty brews like Shock Top Belgian White, Redhook Longhammer, Kona Pipeline Porter and Shock Top Lemon Shandy, to name just a few.
· HOPE FARMERS MARKET: HOPE Farmers Market returns with local, artisanal options to satisfy the health conscious eater as well as vegetarians, vegans and gluten-free diners. New at HOPE this year are The Seedling Truck, Cazamance and CoolHaus offering build-your-own ice cream sandwiches.
· SUSTAINABILITY: ACL’s commitment to the environment is integrated into every area of the park. Each trash can includes a recycling bin. Austin Eats has both front and back of house composting, and food vendors are required to use eco-friendly plates, napkins and utensils. Throughout the park, there is a ban on Styrofoam, plastic bags and flyers. Festival merchandise comes in organic and eco-friendly options, and uses biodegradable bags when bags are requested. Festival producers offset the carbon dioxide emissions of festival vehicles, generators, shore power, and staff and artist travel, by purchasing certified carbon offsets from Green Mountain Energy. ACLengages over 200 volunteers a day who are dedicated to greening efforts.
· GREEN FANS: Fans can participate in the greening of ACL in a number of ways. They can purchase Certified Carbon Offsets from the Green Mountain Energy booth in ACL Cares to make their festival experience carbon neutral. Fans can make small, but effective choices to recycle their cans, compost food waste, and refill their water bottle. They are also encouraged to participate in the Rock & Recycle Program, where filling just one bag of recyclables earns them a commemorative T-shirt, and a chance to win a bike available only to program participants.
· ACL CARES: Musical, social, environmental and health advocacy causes will have an audience of 75,000 people per day at ACL. Attendees can support the local music community through Austin Music People, Health Alliance for Austin Musicians and SIMS Foundation, and ensure music education for Austin youth through Anthropos Arts. Rock the Vote and HeadCount will be engaging fans about the importance of voting, while I Vote The Environment will help fans learn about their candidate’s environmental record. Enter to win a stand up paddle board when you sign up to help The Nature Conservancy protect Texas’ cherished natural resource – water. And finally, fans can help save lives with Love Hope Strength’s “Get on the List” campaign to build the international marrow database. Fifteen lifesaving bone marrow matches have been found among ACL fans.
· SOLAR COMMUNITY: Catch some shade and recharge your cell phone under Solar Community’s shade structure and learn about how they’re providing off-grid solar power to some important parts of ACL Festival.
· AUSTIN PARKS FOUNDATION: The Austin Parks Foundation is the presenting sponsor of Austin City Limits Music Festival, and a beneficiary of a portion of ticket sales. ACL is proud to support the Foundation in education, advocacy, and ecological restoration projects across Austin, including the Barton Creek Greenbelt, The Shoal Creek Greenbelt, The Bull Creek Greenbelt, and the Zilker Preserve.
· AUSTIN KIDDIE LIMITS: The Austin Kiddie Limits stage presented by H-E-B has a stellar lineup and tons of activities to keep kids rockin’ all day long. From video karaoke and hip-hop workshops to screen printing, faux-hawks and tattoos, little rockers will have plenty to do at ACL!
· COOL DOWN AND CHARGE UP: The #DellLive Lounge will be blasting the A/C and giving fans a chance to bust out some beats, get a spray tat, and pose for a photo to show their mug on the livestream, all while charging up those vital electronic lifelines. Fans who tag photos #DellLive will be entered to win a VIP upgrade.
· WIN A FREE HONDA: At the Honda Zone, the brand new Civics have been turned into photo booths, and one lucky festival goer will win an all-new 2013 Civic Si Coupe!
· STAY SUN SMART: Patrons should keep a close eye on their health as the weather heats up. Heat stroke can be identified by excessive thirst, lack of urination, headache, fatigue, dizziness, confusion, disorientation, agitation, flushed or hot skin, loss of consciousness or seizure. However mild the symptoms, fans should visit the Medical tent near the Barton Springs entrance or flag down a Festival staff member for assistance.
· IN CASE OF EMERGENCY: ACL Festival is dedicated to keeping patrons safe. In the event of an emergency, safety messaging will come from the stage video screens, announcements from the loud speakers, the ACLFestival Mobile App, Facebook and Twitter, and instructions from festival staff and security. Anyone in need of medical or security assistance throughout the weekend may approach any festival security or staff member to radio for the appropriate support.